httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Honza Pazdziora <adel...@informatics.muni.cz>
Subject Re: Core server caching
Date Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:07:46 GMT

> I'm sure there are other applications... but none that convince me that we
> want to spend a lot of time inventing a layered i/o model which has the
> huge potential to slow down the server.  Look at STREAMS for an example of

Well, it would slow down the server if it would be used, if you just
had one module to fetch the file and send it to browser, not slowdown
would show up.

Let me show an application that's on my mind for quite a long time:

Page:
	Top:			Middle:				Footer:

			   out to browser

			      gzip
	+-----------------------+-------------------------------+
 recode from utf to ___		|				plain file
	|		recode from some other charset
 fetch from Oracle db		|
			    XML -> HTML

			some Perl (mod_perl) or CGI

We are able to get near this model in mod_perl with Apache::Mason
and OutputChain. But it's not very nice because it's hard to separate
the global state from the local, on the interface between the modules.
Also, sending the headers down the tree (during initialization) and
back during output processing has some bugs.

There are some proposals on the mod_perl mailing list for some new
features and I'd like to implement them, but I do not want to diverge
from how the 2.0 will look like.

Is there doing to be more than just a stack of filters, like the tree
above?

 Honza Pazdziora | adelton@fi.muni.cz | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
                   I can take or leave it if I please