httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Honza Pazdziora <adel...@informatics.muni.cz>
Subject Re: Core server caching
Date Thu, 29 Oct 1998 20:42:55 GMT

> >some sort of I/O modules just add or subtract headers; others completely
> >rewrite the contents.  The former can be implemented really efficiently,
> >especially if high-level modules can pre-inform lower-level modules of how
> >much extra space they will need for headers.
>
> If things pushed late into the I/O stack are going to add headers you
> have then you stuck blocking I/O for the entire response until they
> unblock it.  Presumably the initial choice of response generator can
> select if blocking is or isn't required.

If you have a CGI script and some module behaves differently on
different headers it gets from the script, this may influence the
bloking as well, can't it?

Another idea: do you think it is reasonable to consider the content
passed between the modules will be in some other format then just raw
bytes? I mean parsed HTML/XML for example? I we have a CGI script and
want to process its output with a HTML parser, it might be good to
know that some module that will be taking the output from the first
filter will want it as HTML as well, so it'll be faster to pass the
structure and avoid the second parsing.

I've also found the following sentence in the docs:
	The final goal of all of this, of course, is simply to allow CGI
	output to be parsed for server-side includes. But don't tell Dean that.

What does make Dean so sad about the idea? ;-)

 Honza Pazdziora | adelton@fi.muni.cz | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
                   I can take or leave it if I please