httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <martin.krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: Fully qualified names
Date Mon, 26 Oct 1998 21:00:29 GMT
On our company's intranet, only about half (or less) of the hosts do
actually have a registered DNS address (which makes sense, too, since
they couldn't connect to the internet directly anyway, and they're not
running a real OS which is capable of receiving mail addressed to
their host ;-).

Therefore I figure many intranets (like in schools) have the same
problem: the intranet hosts want to provide information, even though
they don't have a DNS address.

The solution I've been proposing to my "internal apache customers"
was to use an IP address in dotted quad notation, because that
probably is what these servers must be addressed like anyway (non NIS-
based name resolution).
It serves well enough for redirections, though it's ugly in
situations where your local (client) configuration was able to
address the server by a (locally known only) readable name.
But that's just the problem: how can the server know whether the clients
know it by a readable name?

Would a configuration like
    ServerName 123.45.67.89
    UseCanonicalName Off
help Apache to use the same name in redirections as the client was
using in the request?

Should "Make install" use the dotted-quad address if it finds no
DNS name by reverse lookup?

    Martin

--
<Martin.Kraemer@Mch.SNI.De>      |        Siemens Information and
Phone: +49-89-636-46021          |        Communication  Products