httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanc...@apple.com>
Subject Re: Fully qualified names
Date Fri, 23 Oct 1998 18:05:40 GMT
| I think that making people specify a ServerName in the odd case where
| there is no qualified domain name is a better alternative than having
| person after person complain that redirects don't work right.

  Yeah.  My problem is that it's not an odd case;  we hope to sell machines
to schools--we like schools--so the teacher can set up apache right quick
and get a classroom going with a web server for the kids to bang on.  It's
not all that common, perhaps to use web servers on isolated nets, but we
see some uses of that coming our way.

  Would a compile-time option be OK?

  I think that on my platform, I can make the default search order for lookups
to do DNS first, then NetInfo and whatever else, for which Internet servers,
which always (almost always?) use DNS, Apache will find the FQDN.

	-Fred

---
	      Wilfredo Sanchez | wsanchez@apple.com | 408.974-5174
	Apple Computer, Inc., 1 Infinite Loop 302.4K, Cupertino, CA 95014
	          (Mac OS X) Core Operating Systems Group | BSD