httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: compile and run in same dir?
Date Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:14:09 GMT

In article <362F110C.6437D6A9@Golux.Com> you wrote:
> Tom Vaughan wrote:
>>
>> How do I go about doing a `make` and a `src/httpd -d .` in the Apache
>> source tree? Is it as simple as creating the necessary config files in
>> conf/? Or is there something else I might be missing? The documentation
>> appears woefully out of date on this one:

> # cd src
> # cp Configuration.tmpl Configuration
> [edit Configuration to set up CC, modules, et cetera]
> # ./Configure
> # make
> # cd ../conf
> # cp httpd.conf-dist httpd.conf
> # cp srm.conf-dist srm.conf
> # cp access.conf-dist access.conf
> [edit httpd.conf, srm.conf, and access.conf to make them your own]
> # cd ..
> # src/httpd -d .

> Of course, this means you're runninf your server in the
> unpacked tree, rather than a separate production one,
> but that's the basic sequence.

> Ralf will doubtless follow this with the appropriate APACI
> instructions as an alternative. :-)

<grin> Here they are (only 3 commands ;-):

# ./configure --prefix=`pwd`/test [any other APACI options]
# make install
# test/sbin/httpd

And the crazy ones can even try my personally preferred way:

# ./configure --prefix=`pwd` --compat
              --sbindir=`pwd`/src --bindir=`pwd`/src
# make install
# src/httpd

Then you can really compile and test the beast in-place
without the need for subsequent `make install'...

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com