httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanc...@apple.com>
Subject Re: Binary tarballs
Date Thu, 08 Oct 1998 18:25:30 GMT
| Multiple dots make some Window's UI confused.  While ugly
| apache-1_2_3-${OS}.tgz is probably better.

OK, whatever; ugly is not a big deal.

| Using root= rather that --prefix is better.
|
| I was using --enable... in an attempt to suggest that a binary tarball
| might have more things by default than configure would otherwise have
| built you.  Let's ignore that for now.

My point was that no configure options should be specified in the canonical binaries.
If a given platform has preferred options, they should be set as APACI defaults for that
platform, and then all binaries are created with the same commands.

For platforms with dynamic loading, all modules should compile by default, though
they should not all be enabled in the default conf files. We do this on Rhapsody,
though APACI doesn't currently support it; we enable everything and then do
some sed voodoo to comment out everything except for those that the Apache docs
say are compiled in by default.

I don't know what the right answer is for statically built versions; if you're downloading
a binary, you probably don't want to ever compile anything, so I'm still inclined to say
enable everything non-experimental, but obviously that has a bloat problem.

	-Fred