httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Binary tarballs
Date Thu, 08 Oct 1998 13:20:15 GMT
Wilfredo Sanchez writes:
>|  1    cd apache-1.3
>|  2   ( CC="gcc" \
>|  3     CFLAGS=-g \
>|  4    ./configure \
>|  5        --prefix=./local \
>|  6        --enable-module=all \
>|  7        --enable-shared=max; \
>|  8     make clean \
>|  9     make; \
>| 10     make install \
>| 11   ) > build.log 2>&1
>
>If you want these options in the standard binary distribution, they
>should be set for you by APACI; something like this should always
>provide the 'canonical' apache binary for any given host platform:
>
>	( \
>	 cd apache-1.3 && \
>	 OS=$(src/helpers/GuessOS) && \
>	 ./configure --shadow && \
>	 make clean && \
>	 make && \
>	 make install root="root-${OS}" && \
>	 tar -C "root-${OS}" cfz "/tmp/apache-1.2.3-${OS}.tgz" . && \
>	 date \
>	) > build.log 2>&1

Using root= rather that --prefix is better.

Multiple dots make some Window's UI confused.  While ugly
apache-1_2_3-${OS}.tgz is probably better.

I was using --enable... in an attempt to suggest that a binary tarball
might have more things by default than configure would otherwise have
built you.  Let's ignore that for now.

I'd prefer to the tar tape include a readme as a way to assure
we can add supporting materials, like a signature, etc.  Maybe...
   make install root="root"
   TAPEDIR=/tmp/apache-1_2_3-${OS}
   mkdir $TAPEDIR
   cp -rp root /tmp/apache-1_2_3-${OS} $TAPEDIR
   cp -rp src/support/README.binary build.log $TAPEDIR
   tar -C /tmp cfz "/tmp/apache-1.2.3-${OS}.tgz" apache-1_2_3-${OS}

All this ignores the desire of some of us to always include the
sources, which is deadlocked in STATUS right now.

 - ben