httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ken Parzygnat" <kp...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Win32: Why strlwr os_canonical_filename?
Date Fri, 02 Oct 1998 17:30:01 GMT

> It is only being done on the actual filename part.

Actually, I believe it is being done on the entire
path and filename.  Remember that sub_canonical_filename
is recursive and calls itself for every step along the
path.  Again, remember that no lower casing occurs
if the file does not exist.

The PR in question is 3038.  I closed the PR after
Marc's response and talking to Ken Coar about
what the CGI spec says about PATH_TRANSLATED.
The spec says that PATH_TRANSLATED need only be
"the OS path to the file", which on a case insensitive
Win32 system means that all lower case is OK.

However, the user could really use the path and
filename in the case as it is on the file system because
of the way the JAVA interpreter works.  Since I'm
sympathetic to his problem, I was fiddling around
with creating a routine like ap_os_case_filename that
would take a filename and return the filename with
the case on the file system respected.  We could
use this to set the PATH_TRANSLATED variable.
Good idea or bad idea?

Ken Parzygnat
email: kparz@raleigh.ibm.com