httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@c2.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 WARNING-NT.TXT
Date Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:28:26 GMT
On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> That's what I meant.  If we can't put together something that is
> repeatable on our own, then we might as well let the IBM folks put
> together the installer using IS5.  Near as I can tell, the issue keeps
> getting ignored until immediately after the tarball, at which time
> people begin to panic about there not being a win32 binary.  Go figure.

No. Once you start using IS5 you make it very difficult to ever backout to
a different installer product, or to write your own. That is because IS5
uses a complex proprietary (as far as I know) scripting language to
control the whole process.

With IS2 you have to do the complex bits in a DLL. So Apache now has a DLL
to do that (it expands the configuration files and puts them in the
correct place). If we ever change installers, as long as the new installer
can launch DLLs (and most if not all can) you can still install and
configuration Apache. I guess you could even create a self-extracting zip
and then get people to run a "configure" program that launches the DLL
(you'd lose the ability to select typical/minimal/custom installs though).

Paul