httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: I/O Layering in next version of Apache.
Date Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:46:47 GMT

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > > Is the simplest model that accomodates this actually just a stack
> > > (tree?) of webservers? Naturally, we wouldn't talk HTTP between the
> > > layers, but pass (header,content) pairs around (effectively).
> > > Interesting.
> >
> > We could just talk "compiled" HTTP -- using a parsed representation of
> > everything essentially.
>
> That's pretty much what I had in mind - but does it make sense? I have
> to admit, it makes a certain amount of sense to me, but I still have
> this nagging suspicion that there's a catch.

We talked about this during the developers meeting earlier this summer...
while we were hiking, so I don't think there were any notes.

I think it'd be a useful exercise to specify a few example applications we
want to be able to support, and then consider methods of implementing
those applications.  Make the set as diverse and small as possible.  I'll
take the easiest one :)

- serve static content from arbitrary backing store (e.g. file, database)

Once we flesh such a list out it may be easier to consider implementation
variations...

I think it was Cliff who said it this way:  in a multiple layer setup he
wants to be able to partition the layers across servers in an arbtrary
manner.  For example, a proxy cache on one box which the world talks to,
and which backends to various other boxes for dynamic and static content.
Or maybe the static content is on the same server as the proxy. If this is
something we want to support then talking (a restricted form of) HTTP
between layers is interesting.

Now we can all start worrying about performance ;)

Dean