httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: A couple of Apache architecture questions
Date Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:32:20 GMT

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 pedward@webcom.com wrote:

> So, here's the question:  Is there a specific reason why Apache does not
> implement hash tables for the table structures?

It isn't faster.  I don't remember when I did it, but sometime in the last
year I converted the tables to hash tables and there was no appreciable
win.

Dmitry Khrustalev has done a perfect hash for things like headers,
including "interning" the constants we use (i.e. "Content-Type",
"Content-Length", ...) so that we only need to compare pointers... and I
believe it's a win, but he didn't post results.  It requires a few more
API changes though.

> Netscape provides a function called pblock_str2pblock() which takes a
> string like "name=value name=value" and converts it into a pblock (hashtable).
>
> Does Apache have a similar function, for converting query strings into tables?

No, but it would be useful.

Dean