httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0/NSPR
Date Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:11:17 GMT

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > > As far as I can recall, the only storage leaks that have ever occured in
> > > Apache were due to people using make_sub_pool(NULL).  Something which I
> > > made impossible in apache-nspr (or at least I think I did, I intended
> > > to...).
> >
> > But there are (occasional) reasons for wanting to do that...
>
> Every use I've seen has been wrong.  Show me a use that's right.

Let me put this another way.  If I send a -HUP or a -USR1 I expect the
server to reload everything.  If you've got your own private tree of
pools, you have to go out of your way to make that work correctly.  If
your tree of pools hangs off pconf, you'll get cleaned up for free.

i.e. What happens if someone changes the config to disable your module?

pconf shouldn't be a global either.  You get it as a parameter to init().
Nor should pchild be global... it's the parameter to child_init().

Dean