httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Apache on the Netwinder
Date Wed, 09 Sep 1998 16:18:05 GMT

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> I am still struggling with reliability on the Netwinder.  I am hoping the
> new kernel coming next week will take care of it, but who knows.  httpd
> seems to hang and get itself stuff in an accept() loop:
>
> accept(15, 0xbffffa88, [16]) = -1 ECONNRESET (Connection reset by peer)
> accept(15, 0xbffffa88, [16]) = -1 ECONNRESET (Connection reset by peer)
> accept(15, 0xbffffa88, [16]) = -1 ECONNRESET (Connection reset by peer)
> accept(15, 0xbffffa88, [16]) = -1 ECONNRESET (Connection reset by peer)

Is your client disconnecting?  Linux 2.0 reports these errors when the
client does the handshake and disconnects before the app does accept(),
and no other unix does.  They changed it in 2.1 because too many unix apps
just screw up royally when given these errno (see http_main.c for the full
list of errors that I know of).  The reason for reporting the errors is a
suggestion in one of the host requirements RFCs... but it's not part of
the berkeley socket API per se.

> Although I may have a bit of a Heisenberg here.  Whenever I point strace
> at the process to get this information it seems to come unstuck.

Yeah this is one of the annoying features of ptrace() under linux.

Dunno what to say about the problem though.  It sounds like the kernel...

Dean