httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 WARNING-NT.TXT
Date Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:11:34 GMT
On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, snyland@workfire.com wrote:

> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > Two items I *know* are broken in Win32:
> >
> > 1. "Alias /foo/ z:/" doesn't work.  Ken Parzygnat has determined that
> >    this is due to a bug in the (you guessed it) filename canonicalisation
> >    routines, and I think he has a fix.
>
> I recall that in 1.3.1 there was a bug that caused problems  with <Directory />
&
> (I think) things like <Directory c:/>.  <Directory /> used to be in the default
> access.conf file for Win32, however this was removed from the .conf file, making
> it easier to forget about the bug.  I remember that a number of people put a lot
> of work into ap_os_canonical_filename etc, and there was resistance to trying to
> actually solve this in 1.3.2.  I believe that Marc went so far as to tell me that
> it could not be solved in 1.3.2. As I have not contributed a solution, I can't

What!?!

I have never said anything of the sort.

If it isn't solved (and it may or may not be) then it won't be in 1.3.2.

At the time, it wouldn't be solved in 1.3.1 because it was just too close
to release.

> > Things I *think* are broken:
> >
> > 1. The proxy.  (I may be wrong; has this been made to compile/work
> >    on Win32?)
> >

> I believe you're referring to a Win95-specific problem.

Right, although there were also problems with proxy access control (and,
potentially, all wildcard access control) on Win32 because of the
canonicalization.