httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 WARNING-NT.TXT
Date Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:05:02 GMT
On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:

> I would prefer to see WARNING.TXT moved into the readme, and the
> install finish by urging the user to read the readme.

I don't know that we can "urge" them.  There are two issues: first, the
installer is pretty pre-defined-form.  Second, this is more important than
something that should be buried in a readme that many people won't read.

> Meanwhile I don't like this paragraph.
>
> "Apache on Win32 should still be considered beta quality code.  It does not
>  meet the normal standards of stability and security that Unix releases do.
>  There is also a much greater chance of security holes being present in the
>  Win32 version of Apache, due to the frequent discrepancies between the public
>  documentation for the various Windows system calls and file system types
>  and the reality of what is included in Windows system software."
>
> I think that we have had a few months of use now and could seriously
> consider removing the line about "beta quality."  When this was first
> added I think we suspected it wasn't as stable or as secure since it
> had bitten us numerous times.  Well it's stopped biting us.

Beta quality is still correct.

> I find the "... due to frequent descrepancies ..." a problem in a few
> ways.  For example, it maybe fun in the unix crowd to say such things
> but in a Window's crowd it makes us sound bitter and dumb.

AFAIK, the bit about "due to frequent discrepancies" was just added by Roy
when he decided that WARNING-NT.TXT shouldn't be there and wasn't there
before.  I'm not sure it is really appropriate.