httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0/NSPR
Date Sun, 13 Sep 1998 01:39:45 GMT
On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Ben Hyde wrote:

> Personally I find even the idea of adding pfree to the pool
> abstraction distasteful.

A prealloc would be nice, though.

P.S. I haven't looked at the GC that Simon mentioned, but I'm wondering
how in the heck one can do garbage collection in C just by substituting
malloc() calls - AFAIK, there's no way to keep track of when pointers get
duplicated (this is why C++ garbage collecters are more effective - you
can overload all the operators on the pointer), so reference counting is
impossible. And since pointers look like any other integer in memory
there's no way to identify them. Is there something I'm missing?