httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0/NSPR
Date Wed, 09 Sep 1998 19:32:16 GMT
On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >
> > Please don't wait for me... everything I had in progress is now in the
> > repository.  I'd be delighted to have other folks working on apache-nspr.
> > I'll make sure to post when I start tackling the TODOs.
>
> I didn't want to replicate effort with the NSPR guys - but I couldn't
> wait, so I've been talking to them anyway - looks like I'll be sorting
> out the working directory thing, at least. Then I was thinking of
> looking more closely at layered I/O - what would be most valuable for me
> is if you could make it clearer where you are at with that, before I
> shoot us _both_ in the foot :-)

Go on! Shoot everybody in the foot. Then, while we're all hobbling about,
you can secretly switch in the C++ version of Apache you've got hiding in
your back pocket :)

By the way, I think I'm going to take advantage of some time next week
between when I stop working for C2Net and when I start school to play with
apache-nspr, and to see how the Magic Cache idea we talked about at the
core meeting last July might work with it. I've started looking at some
freely-available cache engines like Harvest, seeing if perhaps there's
code available somewhere we can use instead of writing our own.

(Unfortunately, my first choice for code, Squid, isn't usable, because
it's under the GNU GPL. But I won't open that ball of wax right now. Maybe
tomorrow *grin*).