httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: Multi-threading implementation
Date Fri, 04 Sep 1998 16:25:36 GMT
On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Scott Rowe wrote:

> Hello. I subscribed to this list recently, and I have already swept
> the Apache site looking for an answer to this question, I sent a
> message to apache@apache.org and also to one of the individual
> contributors with no reply. This is what I want to know:
>
> Has any work begun on the multi-threaded implementation for Unix?
> (I have read that the Windows version is MT already, but I am only
> interested in the Unix version.) I would like to see how it is
> done.

Yes, some work has begun. Dean Gaudet has created a prototype
multi-threaded version of Apache, using Netscape's NSPR package to provide
threading and IO services. Last time I checked, it was working fairly
well. Dean would be the one to ask, but unfortunately, he's in the middle
of a desert right now, so he probably won't be able to respond until
Tuesday or so.

The Apache Group's current thoughts are to use his work as a basis for
Apache 2.0, but we're still in the early planning stages of that release,
and certainly new ideas are welcome.

Thanks!