httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0/NSPR
Date Wed, 09 Sep 1998 20:08:47 GMT
On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Alexei Kosut wrote:
> > By the way, I think I'm going to take advantage of some time next week
> > between when I stop working for C2Net and when I start school to play with
> > apache-nspr, and to see how the Magic Cache idea we talked about at the
> > core meeting last July might work with it. I've started looking at some
> > freely-available cache engines like Harvest, seeing if perhaps there's
> > code available somewhere we can use instead of writing our own.
>
> Do things like Harvest really help? If the "Magic Cache" ends up on disk
> like a Harvest cache doesn't that rather defeat the object?

Memory and disk are the same thing.

Heck, even FreeBSD's malloc() was designed for a "disk" first:

     The present allocation implementation started out as a filesystem for a
     drum attached to a 20bit binary challenged computer which was built with
     discrete germanium transistors.  It has since graduated to handle primary
     storage rather than secondary.  It first appeared in its new shape and
     ability in FreeBSD release 2.2.

<g>