httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: [jum@ans.helios.de: Proposal: changes to the binbuild.sh script]
Date Wed, 23 Sep 1998 19:47:08 GMT
>Here my proposal again. There two other points that have been brought up
>that appear to be interesting:
>
>* Do not ship the source at all, just ship the binaries. Good idea, but
>  then the binary tar ball should be totally different, it should
>  probably mirror a /usr/local/apache directory with just one script to
>  copy over things, preserving what is already there for upgrades.

I don't like the idea of shipping the binary without the source.
It serves as an important record and documentation of what went into
the binary, even if the person who downloads it never looks at it
themself.  Since we don't keep a copy of every version distributed,
we need to send the source with the binary.

....Roy