httpd-dev mailing list archives

From j.@pa.dec.com (Jim Gettys)
Subject Re: HTTP Compression in Mozilla
Date Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:20:54 GMT

> Sender: new-httpd-owner@apache.org
> From: Dmitry Khrustalev <dima@bog.msu.su>
> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:31:27 +0400 (MSD)
> To: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>
> Cc: new-httpd@apache.org, Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
> Subject: Re: HTTP Compression in Mozilla
> -----
> well, i'm running httpd with streaming gzip compression on www.rbc.ru now
>
> total traffic for 17 hours is 3.87 GB
> compression saved 0.645 GB.

> r->proto_num >= HTTP_VERSION(1,1)) &&
>         r->status == HTTP_OK &&
>         !ap_table_get(r->headers_in, "Via") &&
>         ae = ap_table_get(r->headers_in, "Accept-Encoding") &&
>         ap_find_token(r->pool, ae, "gzip") &&
>         ce == NULL &&
>         r->byterange == 0 &&
>         ct != NULL &&
>         !strncasecmp(ct, "text/", 5))
>
> where ct is content-type of response and ce is content-encoding.
>
>         -Dima

Neat!  Given that it isn't implemented in many browsers right now,
I'm gratified it is saving you that much bandwidth....

I don't suppose you'd be interested in implementing TE as well are you?
Henrik's libwww and clients can be used to test it.
Claim is that Mozilla supports it as well, according to Netscape's
implementation report (we haven't looked...)...

BTW, deflate is a bit more efficient that gzip as it does include the
file headers.
					- Jim