httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 WARNING-NT.TXT
Date Mon, 21 Sep 1998 21:16:54 GMT
>was committed, have a removal time set in the future. It is an interesting
>concept, that perhaps could have some validity, but even if it was a part
>of our process, I was not aware that WARNING-NT.TXT was intended to be
>removed after 1.3.1. Surely the criteria for removing the warning should
>be that the problems it refers to have been fixed?

I thought they were fixed.  I still think they are fixed, mostly because
the only problem to which it referred originally was the pathname stuff
that was among the first patches applied after 1.3.1.  If Marc wants to
add more conditions, then by all means add them somewhere so that we
know what needs fixing before the next release.

>I would have thought that removing a part of Apache code should be treated
>the same as adding code, in that both are changes to the same rules. Thus
>the removal of code is subject to both commit-then-review rules, and
>subject to potential veto.

If we are talking about a feature, sure.  But this is documentation.
Why should we include misleading documentation in our product just
because one person thinks it still applies?  I wouldn't mind it if
there was enough information provided so that I can know when it will
be removed in the future.

....Roy