httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 WARNING-NT.TXT
Date Sun, 20 Sep 1998 21:26:18 GMT
>That's nice, but it isn't a decision you can unilaterally make after it
>was agreed that it should be there.
>
>It is appropriate and desirable to have.

First of all, it is a decision that I can unilaterally make.
Second, we only agreed to add it to 1.3.1, not to every future
build of Apache on Win32.  Third, what it says is childish and
inappropriate for any piece of distributed software.  Fourth,
Apache is already of higher quality than most pieces of Win32
software, and no other software that I know of carries such a
warning during the install process.  Finally, it is only serving
as an excuse for not doing all that we are capable of doing to
make it a better release.

We now have more active Win32 programmers than Unix programmers.
If there is something specific that is wrong with the release, then
either fix it or include it in the readme.  People using windows
installers expect to see such information in the readme, not as
some lame disclaimer.

Speaking of which, is it possible to update and test the windows install
scripts before we tag the release and tarball?  I don't like the way
it gets scrambled together and then committed after release, but there's
not much I can do about it without the IS2 license.

....Roy