httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Concerning PR#2409 (customising ErrorDocument 500)
Date Sat, 05 Sep 1998 01:13:36 GMT
>PR#2409 complains that ErrorDocument 500 declarations in
>.htaccess files and <Directory> containers get ignored.
>I tracked this down to the way directory_walk() works: it
>parses the .htaccess files and then merges the config
>records.  Thus a parsing error (which means a 500) has
>only the server config available to field the problem.
>
>Does it makes sense to document this as a restriction, or
>should the .htaccess parsing include the merging operation?
>Personally, I prefer the latter -- any comments before I
>start working on a patch?

How can the .htaccess parsing include the merging operation
if the .htaccess file cannot be parsed?

My inclination would be to document it as a restriction rather
than adding cruft to workaround ErrorDocument 500 (which should
only be seen by an administrator testing a new config anyway).
OTOH, if partial merging can be done and is worthwhile for other
reasons, then you might as well try.

....Roy