httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_speling.c
Date Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:16:32 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> This error-notes thing is broken imnsho.  All of a sudden all the useful,
> informative error messages are completely overridden by terse log
> messages... this is a decrease in useability.  If error-notes was sent *in
> addition* to the age old responses I'd be a lot less troubled.

I think the error-notes confusion is due to some unfortunate
overloading.  On the one hand, anything in that cell is made
available as an envariable for error processing.  On the other
hand, ap_send_error_response() has treated it as a way for
modules to override the default error message.

Both were evidently intended by the change when it was
implemented in May.  I suspect that the correct solution
is to simply remove its special meaning in
ap_send_error_response().
If someone wants to make use of the string in an error display,
let 'im use an ErrorDocument to customise the response.

The more I think about this the more I like that solution.
Currently, any module can usurp the text of the error
display page from the core.  I don't think that's appropriate.

#ken    P-)}