httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_speling.c
Date Thu, 24 Sep 1998 17:41:41 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> 300s aren't "errors".

I used the term advisedly because the routine in question is
ap_send_error_response().

> This error-notes thing is broken imnsho.  All of a sudden all the useful,
> informative error messages are completely overridden by terse log
> messages... this is a decrease in useability.  If error-notes was sent *in
> addition* to the age old responses I'd be a lot less troubled.

I'll go along with that, with the clarification that the
brokennes
is in ap_send_error_response()'s use of error-notes, not with the
error-notes mechanism itself.

So.. two possible solutions (among others) present themselves:
modify the way ap_send_error_response() treats error-notes,
and/or not set error-notes in ap_log_rerror() unless the
level is higher than N (pick N).

For now I prefer the former, since doing the latter properly
will involve recording the level of the last error stored in
error-notes so that a subsequent call can override it if the
error level is more severe.  (This addresses Doug's concerns.)

#ken    P-)}