httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: I/O Layering in next version of Apache.
Date Wed, 23 Sep 1998 00:23:04 GMT
Honza Pazdziora wrote:
> Also, as Apache::GzipChain module shows, once you process the output,
> you may need to modify the headers as well. I was hit by this when I
> tried to convert between charsets, to send out those that the browsers
> would understand. The Apache::Mason module shows that you can build
> a page from pieces. Each of the pieces might have different
> characteristics (charset, for example), so with each piece of code we
> might need to have its own headers that describe it, or at least the
> difference between the final (global) header-outs and its local.

Interesting points - and not ones we've had to consider up to now. The
GzipChain example is certainly applicable. I'm less sure about Mason: do
we want to support modules that pull in parts from various places within
Apache? Hmmm. I suppose so.

I can't remember whether it was discussed here, or on the wrong list,
but it had already been suggested that we need to pass headers downwards
(that is, away from the client). I suppose this shows we have to pass
them upwards, too.

Is the simplest model that accomodates this actually just a stack
(tree?) of webservers? Naturally, we wouldn't talk HTTP between the
layers, but pass (header,content) pairs around (effectively).
Interesting.

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/