httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0/NSPR
Date Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:48:54 GMT
Ben Hyde wrote:

> Ben Laurie writes:
> >Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >>
> >> How about someone describe the actual difficulties that lead to this whole
> >> gc discussion before we take it any further?
> >>
> >> As far as I can recall, the only storage leaks that have ever occured in
> >> Apache were due to people using make_sub_pool(NULL).  Something which I
> >> made impossible in apache-nspr (or at least I think I did, I intended
> >> to...).
> >
> >But there are (occasional) reasons for wanting to do that...
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Ben.
>
> Ok, but ...  My model of pools is that they are owned by some activity,
> and when that activity completes they are reclaimed.  Activites
> are usually implemented by a single thread, or process.  Of course
> not always, for example a pool owned by a module for it's internal
> state who's life cycle is delimeted the init file loading.
>
> When an activity happens not to have it's own thread/process there is
> always one who's extent is longer than the activity and the pool can
> nest inside of it.
>
> Having a single root pool is nicer, to my sense of style, than using
> NULL as the root since it leaves clear the sequencing and certainty of
> how things are torndown.  Leaving a few globals in the namespace for
> generally useful pools?  My eyes see that as is useful, rather than
> noisy.

Currently the root pool is not global (I haven't checked the status in
apache-nspr, though, but I assume it hasn't changed) - and there is no
global pool that persists over a reset (which is exactly why you'd use a
NULL root currently).

Making the root pool available somehow would also keep me happy.

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/