httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0/NSPR
Date Sun, 13 Sep 1998 21:17:18 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> > Personally I find even the idea of adding pfree to the pool
> > abstraction distasteful.
>
> I do too, but I don't feel qualified say exactly why :)

Hmm.  Irrational, unfounded belief structure, Captain.  Fascinating.
:-)

Well, if we're going to do pools in shared memory (I know at least
one other person studying it), that means bounds.  And bounded
allocation of shared structures implies garbage collection.  Or
terminal constipation, take your pick. :-)

Personally, I like the Java approach: garbage collection is done
by the 'system' and the application has no direct access to it,
other than by nuking all handles to allocated blocks so the
GC knows they're candidates when it needs to reclaim.  Applying
that to our current pool system means changing the semantics
fairly drastically.  But bounded, shared pools are a pretty
drastic change, too, so maybe we can do it right -- and make it
httpd-neutral at the same time.  An excellent 'port' candidate,
eh?

Or am I talking through my hat?

#ken	P-)}