httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0/NSPR
Date Sat, 12 Sep 1998 11:31:04 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Do we really need reference counting? Can't they have a common
> > allocation/deallocation method, and get ownership handed through the
> > layers - last one out turns off the lights (err, lowest layer releases
> > the buffer).
>
> If it's in a mmap() cache you don't ever want to give up ownership... the
> cache owns it.

Hmmm - spose we have for each memory block a handler - the lowest layer
calls the releaser in the handler - if it is a mmap() cache, the
releaser simply recycles it. Hmmm - this may be a good idea even if we
do need reference counts... actually, I'll concede reference counts, coz
even if we can avoid them in this special case, they are a generally
useful thing. Also a great way to leak memory, of course :-) Did I ever
mention that there's this great language that helps with that?

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/