httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0/NSPR
Date Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:43:10 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Like I said, Dean mumbled something about flushes. Natch, if you have
> > threads, the approach is different to if you don't. I suppose the Big
> > Question is whether we are interested in implementing layered I/O for
> > non-threaded environments.
> >
> > BTW, Alexei said some stuff about caching in between layers, which I
> > seem to have mislaid. Let me take this opportunity to say that sounds
> > cool and he should pursue it! I have some stuff to say about databases,
> > but I'll wait until I've drunk less.
>
> How can you drink less? That's like saying "I'll wait until I'm less old."

That's a great idea. I'm waiting.

[snip explanation]

> Basically, that's how I think it should work. It's basically what we
> talked about in SF (sorry you weren't there Ben, you probably would have
> enjoyed it). Doesn't sound too hard to implement either, once we get the
> cache and middle end parts working perfectly (hah!).

Hehe. Anyway, the thing I wanted to say about databases (and I honestly
can't think why I let a couple of pints of wine hold me back) was this:
working out whether a cache is up-to-date for a database query is
interestingly non-trivial, but may be worth some effort. But anyway, it
illustrates the general point that to determine whether a cache is
up-to-date may require more than simply seeing what has varied, so a
general caching layer should permit a general way to query currency.

If you see what I mean.

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/