httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0/NSPR
Date Wed, 09 Sep 1998 23:05:27 GMT
Ed Korthof wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > >
> > > Please don't wait for me... everything I had in progress is now in the
> > > repository.  I'd be delighted to have other folks working on apache-nspr.
> > > I'll make sure to post when I start tackling the TODOs.
> >
> > I didn't want to replicate effort with the NSPR guys - but I couldn't
> > wait, so I've been talking to them anyway - looks like I'll be sorting
> > out the working directory thing, at least. Then I was thinking of
> > looking more closely at layered I/O - what would be most valuable for me
> > is if you could make it clearer where you are at with that, before I
> > shoot us _both_ in the foot :-)
>
> I'd be happy to work on layered I/O, so long as I'm not stepping on
> anyone's feet and don't have to deal with merging in changes from 1.3.x.
> :p
>
> I haven't done anything with this since Alexei and I wrote up the proposal
> for layered I/O using modified BUFFs, as I understood that NSPR has some
> (or all) of the functionality which Apache needs there -- but if more
> should be done here, I'd be interested in helping with it.

Like I said, Dean mumbled something about flushes. Natch, if you have
threads, the approach is different to if you don't. I suppose the Big
Question is whether we are interested in implementing layered I/O for
non-threaded environments.

BTW, Alexei said some stuff about caching in between layers, which I
seem to have mislaid. Let me take this opportunity to say that sounds
cool and he should pursue it! I have some stuff to say about databases,
but I'll wait until I've drunk less.

Cheers,

Ben.

WE'RE RECRUITING! http://www.aldigital.co.uk/