httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <c...@Apache.Org>
Subject Re: Concerning PR#2409 (customising ErrorDocument 500)
Date Sat, 05 Sep 1998 02:21:31 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> How can the .htaccess parsing include the merging operation
> if the .htaccess file cannot be parsed?

The <Directory> and superiour .htaccess files that have been
successfully parsed would be in the per-dir config chain.
The failing one, of course, wouldn't be.  The merge would be
the last thing the parse did before returning successfully.

> My inclination would be to document it as a restriction rather
> than adding cruft to workaround ErrorDocument 500 (which should
> only be seen by an administrator testing a new config anyway).

Erm, no -- people do this sort of thing in [sub-]sub-directories.
Consider the 'fake' vhosting stuff that was done with mod_rewrite
a few months ago.. or ISPs that provide space for customers as
directories off the ISP's main URL.

> OTOH, if partial merging can be done and is worthwhile for other
> reasons, then you might as well try.

It may not be; I'll take a look.

#ken	P-)}