httpd-dev mailing list archives

From j..@helios.de (Jens-Uwe Mager)
Subject Re: [jum@ans.helios.de: Proposal: changes to the binbuild.sh script]
Date Thu, 24 Sep 1998 08:22:13 GMT
>The source code isn't for our reference -- it is for the people at
>the installation site.  My experience is that Apache installations
>far outlast their installer at many sites, and it is only when something
>goes wrong with the server that people start looking for the code.
>We don't keep all old versions and we can't expect everyone to upgrade
>just because we say so (some people can't due to binary-only modules,
>or simply fear to because they don't know what will break).

This makes sense, I did probably not think far enough. I was more
thinking for those folks that just blindly install binaries like they
do if the next new IE comes out.

>There is also the question of basic open source philosophy.  I would
>prefer that we always ship source code, since that is one of the major
>"selling points" of our project.

No arguments here. It is probably the right thing to do, even if the
person on the other end does never anything with it.

I am convinced with the source shipping thing, probably I have been
working to long on the commercial (non-open source) side of the fence.

Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3
30827 Garbsen