httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: [jum@ans.helios.de: Proposal: changes to the binbuild.sh script]
Date Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:05:26 GMT

In article <19980923154107.A44446@ans.helios.de> you wrote:

> Here my proposal again. There two other points that have been brought up
> that appear to be interesting:

> * Do not ship the source at all, just ship the binaries. Good idea, but
>   then the binary tar ball should be totally different, it should
>   probably mirror a /usr/local/apache directory with just one script to
>   copy over things, preserving what is already there for upgrades.

> * Integration of the binary build into the standard Apache makefiles.
>   This is probably the way to go, but I would believe this would be for
>   the next release due to the changes necessary.

> Both approaches could be combined by a new rule in the makefiles so one
> could do a "make bindist" and it would build the directory structure
> for the binary tar ball just containg what is supposed to be in
> /usr/local/apache plus an install script.

+1 from my side because it's what I already wanted last time, too.
I append you my latest binbuild.sh script I did in the past.
The Makefile integration is also very useful.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com
#!/bin/sh
##
##  binbuild.sh -- Apache binary release build script
##  Written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@apache.org>
##

#
#   configuration
#
name=apache_1.3.0
prefix=/usr/local/apache
options="--enable-shared=remain --disable-module=auth_db --enable-suexec"
md5=no

#
#   build sequence
#
trap 'echo "binbuild.sh:Error: abnormal exit, binary release not properly built"; exit 1'
0 1 2 3 15
umask 022
echo "This is Apache binbuild.sh, Version 2.0"
echo " + unpacking release tarball $tarball"
echo "   \$ gzip -d -c $name.tar.gz | tar xf -"
gzip -d -c $name.tar.gz | tar xf -
gnutriple="`$name/src/helpers/GuessOS | sed 's/\//_/g'`" || exit 1
echo " + guessed platform: $gnutriple"
echo "   \$ cd $name";
cd $name
echo " + configuring source tree"
echo "   \$ ./configure --prefix=$prefix $options"
./configure --prefix=$prefix $options >../binbuild.log-$gnutriple 2>&1 || exit 1
echo " + building the programs"
echo "   \$ make"
make >>../binbuild.log-$gnutriple 2>&1 || exit 1
echo " + installing for $prefix (only faked!)"
echo "   \$ make install root=apache-root"
make install root=apache-root >>../binbuild.log-$gnutriple 2>&1 || exit 1
echo " + packing binary tarball from installation files"
echo "   \$ (cd apache-root; tar cf - *) | gzip -9 >../${name}-$gnutriple.tar.gz"
(cd apache-root; tar cf - *) | gzip -9 >../${name}-$gnutriple.tar.gz
echo " + cleaning up"
echo "   \$ cd .."
cd ..
echo "   \$ rm -rf $name"
rm -rf $name
echo " + generating MD5 checksum for tarball"
if [ .$md5 = .yes ] ; then
    md5 $name-$gnutriple.tar.gz >$name-$gnutriple.tar.gz.md5
fi
echo "Binary build complete."
trap 0 1 2 3 15