httpd-dev mailing list archives

From pedw...@webcom.com
Subject A couple of Apache architecture questions
Date Fri, 18 Sep 1998 18:29:00 GMT
I'm pretty familiar with the NSAPI, having hacked quite a few modules.
I'm in the process of porting a module to Apache, and I had a couple
of questions for the Apache developers:

First:

I was looking at the ap_table_get() function and noticed that the internal
structure of Apache tables appears to be a calloced array.  I'm familiar
with Netscape architecture, and they use hash tables for storing all the
header and such.  This makes it easier on the module programmer and faster
for doing indexed lookups on strings, etc.

So, here's the question:  Is there a specific reason why Apache does not
implement hash tables for the table structures?

Second:

Netscape provides a function called pblock_str2pblock() which takes a
string like "name=value name=value" and converts it into a pblock (hashtable).

Does Apache have a similar function, for converting query strings into tables?

Thanks,

--Perry

--
Perry Harrington        System Software Engineer    zelur xuniL  ()
http://www.webcom.com  perry.harrington@webcom.com  Think Blue.  /\