httpd-dev mailing list archives

From j..@helios.de (Jens-Uwe Mager)
Subject Re: PR#2829 and related ones (semctl)
Date Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:06:42 GMT

>Yeah like two orders of magnitude better if the IRIX box has multiple
>CPUs.  But that was ages ago.  Things may have changed.  And it's clear
>that IRIX isn't set up by default to support sysvsem.  So changing it back
>to whatever was used in 1.2 seems fine... there's a bunch of docs to go
>hit though (upgrading_to_1.3, new_features_1.3, perf_tuning... maybe
>more).

I have had good success on our software by using abilock mechanism, it
is available on IRIX 5 and 6. From man abilock:

NAME
     init_lock, acquire_lock, release_lock, stat_lock, spin_lock - ABI mutual
     exclusion primitives

SYNOPSIS
     #include <abi_mutex.h>

     int init_lock(abilock_t *lck);

     int acquire_lock(abilock_t *lck);

     int release_lock(abilock_t *lck);

     int stat_lock(abilock_t *lck);

     void spin_lock(abilock_t *lck);

These do not use kernel calls, just atomic instructions of the
underlying processor (MIPS). I did an sginap(0) to reschedule on
contention while polling.

Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3