httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <>
Subject WAKEUP PLEASE: Tomorrow is release time!
Date Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:38:32 GMT

For those who didn't pay close attention to our STATUS file:
Wakeup friends, tomorrow is our proposed release day for 1.3.2.

The new automatic header check is in now comitted and our baby still builds
fine on some platforms I've already tested it.  Only a few minor bugfixes are
still waiting (the bigger DSO/mod_perl problem I and Doug were still unable to
solve successfully, so when we don't find a miracle we cannot solve it for

In the meantime the Apache platform portability playground is now open: Please
grab the latest CVS versions and at least compile it once on all your
available platforms and give us feedback. The easiest and good way (according
to the test results we can expect) is to run the following steps:

  $ CC=gcc \
    OPTIM='-O -Wall -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align \
           -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations \
           -Wnested-externs -Winline' \
    ./configure --prefix=/tmp/apache \
  $ make
  $ make install
  $ /tmp/apache/sbin/apachectl start
  $ lynx -mime_header -source http://localhost/
  $ /tmp/apache/sbin/apachectl stop
This builds Apache with GCC and a reasonable amount of warnings (which our
baby already passes 100% clean and without complains under FreeBSD, Linux and
Solaris), with a reasonable amount of enabled modules (only the problematic
ones are disabled) and with DSO enabled for all non-standard modules.  This
way you check most of the sources and build stuff while testing.

When something breaks feel free to fix it ;-) Don't wait until we want to roll
the tarball tomorrow. Then it's too late for in-depth portability tests.
So, test it _NOW_, please!!

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall

View raw message