httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0/NSPR
Date Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:39:13 GMT
Ben Laurie writes:
>Dean Gaudet wrote:
>>
>> How about someone describe the actual difficulties that lead to this whole
>> gc discussion before we take it any further?
>>
>> As far as I can recall, the only storage leaks that have ever occured in
>> Apache were due to people using make_sub_pool(NULL).  Something which I
>> made impossible in apache-nspr (or at least I think I did, I intended
>> to...).
>
>But there are (occasional) reasons for wanting to do that...
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ben.

Ok, but ...  My model of pools is that they are owned by some activity,
and when that activity completes they are reclaimed.  Activites
are usually implemented by a single thread, or process.  Of course
not always, for example a pool owned by a module for it's internal
state who's life cycle is delimeted the init file loading.

When an activity happens not to have it's own thread/process there is
always one who's extent is longer than the activity and the pool can
nest inside of it.

Having a single root pool is nicer, to my sense of style, than using
NULL as the root since it leaves clear the sequencing and certainty of
how things are torndown.  Leaving a few globals in the namespace for
generally useful pools?  My eyes see that as is useful, rather than
noisy.

 - ben hyde