httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bret McGuire <mersa...@busboy.sped.ukans.edu>
Subject pr2468
Date Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:18:21 GMT
	This is somewhat academic, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.
PR 2468 mentions an alleged problem with the implementation of
initgroups() on Digital UNIX v4.0.  According to the submitter (and
Digital's man pages), the function returns 1 upon failure instead of the
anticipated -1.  The user claimed that this was causing his installation
of Apache to die a horrible death.
	Marc challenged his claim at the time, and he was quite correct.
I wrote a short program to test the return value of initgroups(), and the
function _does_ return a -1 upon failure and a 0 upon success.  The man
pages are wrong... fortunately.  So one of you wonderful people can close
this PR, if you feel so inclined...
	This has been verified as far back as Digital UNIX v3.2, which is
the oldest copy I have access to.

								- Bret -