httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3 STATUS
Date Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:51:30 GMT

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> rse@hyperreal.org wrote:
> >
> >        * header detection is broken; eg. sys/resource.h often requires
> >          other includes first, etc.  This breaks things like RLimit*
> >          on many platforms.
> >   +      -- Ralf will try to solve this problem this week.
> >

> You know, this confuses me. Are we saying that the header detection
> "section" can't find sys/resource.h until we also have some additional
> #includes elsewhere? This doesn't make any sense. Now I can understand

Yes.

> that for RLimit* to work, we need to include sys/resource.h and maybe
> other things (or maybe change the ordering), but I can't see how we
> cannot _detect_ the existance of sys/resource.h.

Because on many systems the compile fails if other headers aren't included
first due to things like undefined types, etc.

Sure, it isn't unix98 compliant if a system does that but that is the
traditional BSD behaviour.  unix98 expects sys/resource.h to include what
it needs and explicitly says "it may pollute the namespace with things
frmo headers foo, bar, taz".  But that definition is quite newish and you
can't expect it to hold true.