httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Spinning httpds - One Solution
Date Fri, 21 Aug 1998 19:27:01 GMT

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >The issue is why you don't get a SIGPIPE when writing which would result
> >in timout() longjmping out of your code completely.
>
> SIGPIPE is unreliable -- Solaris 2.5 doesn't even generate one when
> writing to a closed socket.  We really should be ignoring it everywhere

You shouldn't get one while writing to a closed socket, should you?  You
should only get one when write()s end up sending data and getting a RST
back.

> and just using the return code to detect an error.  That was the case
> for the core code last I checked.  mod_php should be checking the return
> code for an error.

Yea, and this has to be dealt with for threaded versions anyway
(<!--#include dean="apache-nspr-does-this" -->).

It is just nice to have notification that can have it dealt with without
each and every module having to do its own handling all the way down the
chain and being able to exit all the way up.