httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/include ap_mmn.h
Date Tue, 25 Aug 1998 20:01:14 GMT
On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Hang about - we've been here before, surely? If you provide a .def file
> THEN you get linked ordinally. Otherwise the ordinals are just hints and
> the _real_ match is done on the string. So you pay a little in
> efficiency, but it doesn't go all weird on you.

Nope. According to both the Microsoft documentation and people here on the
list, DLL import libraries can only do ordinal name lookups. A .def file
is needed to force a specific ordering. Or we can write our own import
libraries. But we've been through that, too.

I haven't actually tried it, though. Someone should.

(IIRC, Win16 had string-based DLL lookups, but Win32 does not)