httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: [STATISTIC] Apache Development
Date Mon, 03 Aug 1998 19:09:08 GMT
On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> PS: Should we post it on a regular basis, say once per month?

Definitely not. This is especially due to the meaninglessness of this
particular statistic. Not that there aren't others that more more
meaningless. Ben's revelation that I've only checked out the Apache
sources five times in the last month was particuarly useless :)

And the CHANGES file, as we all know, is a particuarly bad indication of
when anything happened. It's missing large chunks of data, especially
between major releases (1.1, 1.2 and 1.3, for example). According to the
CHANGES file, for example, we never actually made a Win32 port. It just
sort of appeared. And it would have only counted once, at any rate,
although the number of lines of code attached to such an entry would
probably have given Ambarish, Ben and I top billing in the 1.3a1 category
if it were done by lines of code changed.

(And I *know* I've made more than 27 contributions, by the way. But most
of them came in sections of the CHANGES file that aren't there any more,
or never were. Minor things like mod_actions, handlers, keep-alive
support, <Location>, name-based virtual hosts, HTTP/1.1 compliance,
<Files>, chunks of the Win32 port, etc...)