httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Southwell <da...@cyberc.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Module Contrib
Date Tue, 04 Aug 1998 18:03:41 GMT
On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > +1 for better contrib maintenance
> >
> > +1 for contrib living on www.apache.org (it will have a large set of
> > mirrors already running for it)
> >
> > +1 for including non-free stuff
> >
> > +1 for splitting non-free stuff into a non-free hierarchy (see
> > ftp.redhat.com for example, they have a non-free hierarchy)

Cool

> I do _not_ like this splitting out.  Debian does it and it is a royal
> PITA.  "hmm, where will pine be... no, isn't under free.  Let me go check
> non-free... no, isn't there either.  Hmm, let me check their web site.
> Oh.  They don't like the license so won't distribute it."  Part of that is
> the dumb package manager, but that is another matter...

Would you guys like me to put a good search engine with it which would
provide the interface for downloading -- told you all the stuff about
whether it was free not etc - something very clear and very factual?

would a sources browser be useful? - if there is support for the idea I
have a reasonably efficient apache interface which provides an on-line
indexed search of source files.

david

David Southwell
Chairman
CyberCity Ltd            (European agents for CyberCity Inc. BVI)
+44 117 955 8225            CyberCity Technology in Europe
BCDP Technology ++Beyond the Corporate Doorway Processing Solutions++