httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Southwell <da...@cyberc.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Module Contrib
Date Tue, 04 Aug 1998 16:53:42 GMT
On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> David Southwell wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > >
> > > 5. ALL contributions MUST include full source.
> >
> > I do not agree - sounds too authoritarian  to me!! Some people provide
> > support for apache on a commercial basis and  people who have
> > developed commercial modules are not likely to be able to publish
> > source (they usually have legal restrictions around their neck).
>
> Then I'm not inclined to buy into this.  Apache is an open-source
> project.  I don't mind people selling after-market binary-only
> VAR versions, but I *do* object to storing them on and distributing
> them from the main Apache site.

I am not suggesting you sell them from the main Apache site - my guess is
that anyone with this type of product will want to make demo versions
available. The point is that it gives end users more confidence in Apache
if they can see that there are large numbers of people out there who
believe enough in Apache to support it commercially - both in the
technical sense and to develop for it.

The total restrictions seems to me a bit too narrow minded for my taste..

We are all accustomed to viewing things through the eye of the
developer and to us the availability of soiurce code is prime and
essential asset. Ordinary users, most managers of commercial web sites,
are terrified of source code because it forces them to admit that they do
not understand it!!

It is these people who are put off from using apache BECAUSE they believe
you can only use Apache and apache modules if you can make sense of the
sources.  This is what makes them a sitting duck for MS servers.

The "purist" approach is what has made it easy for the bad to drive out
the good in the computer industry. That is why MS stuff has succeeded.
So I am very strongly against this purist separation and very much in
favour of helping people to check out there own needs and follow their
requirements.

> > I suggest your 5 be changed to:
> >
> > 5. Contributions for which source code is not available will appear
> >    under a separate heading with a notice to that efffect.
>
> No.  Pointers to such can go on the 'related projects' page for
> all I care, but it is inappropriate, IMO, to use the Apache site
> to push commercial products.  If someone wants to sell something,
> let him sell it from his own Web site, not ours.
>
> The FreeBSD ports, CPAN, and related 'contrib' projects -- I'm
> not aware of any of them permitting binary-only commercial stuff.
> Marc, Doug, correct me if I'm wrong.

They do allow demo binaries

But whether they do or not is irrelevant -- the pro and cons should be
carefully considered without a prejudice in sight

*chuckles**

David Southwell
Chairman
CyberCity Ltd            (European agents for CyberCity Inc. BVI)
+44 117 955 8225            CyberCity Technology in Europe
BCDP Technology ++Beyond the Corporate Doorway Processing Solutions++