httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Southwell <da...@cyberc.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Module Contrib
Date Tue, 04 Aug 1998 16:01:14 GMT
On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Without having done more than skim this,
>
> David Southwell wrote:
> >
> > Here is a suggested  set of criteria to help decide whether items are
> > to be included or excluded (cooments please)
> >
> > 1. Contributions must demonstrate strong link and commitment to
> >    apache.
> > 2. Contributors must be upfront about any commercial interests.
> > 3. Contributors simply seeking a convenient link to their own web
> >    site will be excluded.
> > 4. The contribution must offer additional resources which are
> >    particularly relevant to apache users/developers.
>
> 5. ALL contributions MUST include full source.

I do not agree - sounds too authoritarian  to me!! Some people provide
support for apache on a commercial basis and  people who have developed
commercial modules are not likely to be able to publish source (they
usually have legal restrictions around their neck).

It would be silly not include stuff on the basis of whether source is or
is not available. The more stuff there is there the better - at least its
collected in one place and can be openly compared. I would be worried
about people who didnt want to put stuff on the site!!

It also gives people a chance to review and make comments.

It is enough to say whether source is available or not and for commercial
interests to be fully declared - up front (that was why 2.  above).

I suggest your 5 be changed to:

5. Contributions for which source code is not available will appear under
a separate heading with a notice to that efffect.

David Southwell
Chairman
CyberCity Ltd            (European agents for CyberCity Inc. BVI)
+44 117 955 8225            CyberCity Technology in Europe
BCDP Technology ++Beyond the Corporate Doorway Processing Solutions++