httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Southwell <da...@cyberc.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Module Contrib
Date Tue, 04 Aug 1998 09:31:15 GMT
On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> At 05:49 PM 8/3/98 +0100, David Southwell wrote:
> >OK
> >
> >Can we simplify the debate please:
> >
> >A. do we want to do something that holds all the kinda stuff I indicated?
>
> I think we should discuss more the "kinda stuff" you mean.
>
> What I'd like to see, rather than a big tarball wrapping together a buncha
> third-party stuff, is Ralf's APXS used as a base for more and more
> contributions, and with those contributions organized on www.apache.org.

Sounds sensible to me

> Er, let me clarify - think FreeBSD's excellent "ports" system, or RPM's.
> We could certainly put it in /dist/contrib on www.apache.org, and I don't
> think there'd be a problem with granting you, David, access to manage that
> whole contrib area.

Thanks

Fine I am willing to do that -- although I would prefer to work with
someone who has been around the group a bit longer - even if it was for
advice.

My personal leaning would be to making the contrib area interactive.

Here is what I think would be needed:

(a) The means to upload submissions (once contributors have been given an
OK)  for the contrib area (username/password protected incoming ftp
directory for each contributor would be sensible)

(b) I and whoever else is involved would, as appropriate, test & review
each contribution and decide whether it is to moved to and included in the
contrib area.

(c) The contrib area should have a searchable on-line information database
(I can supply that facility).

(d) One or two people seem to feel a seperate URL is appropriate.  When I
though about it I realised there might be a practical benefit to that.  It
would mean the contrib area might be best managed by a different apache
server enabling us to put different contributions through their paces on
line.

(d) If no one objects before the week end I will start work on putting the
outlines of a site together (www.apache.org runs on a FreeBSD o/s doesnt
it?) test it here and upload it as a tarball.

(e) It would be useful to set up a separate mailing list to handle
contribs site queries etc (http_contribs) ..  would you like to set that
up as (http_contribs@apache.org?) or do you want me to set one up?

(f) In the meantime could anyone with suggestions, offers of help etc
please email em to me direct if they do not want to load down this list
with too much contrib traffic.

> 	Brian
> "Common sense is the collection of prejudices  |     brian@apache.org
> acquired by the age of eighteen." - Einstein   |  brian@hyperreal.org

David Southwell
Chairman
CyberCity Ltd            (European agents for CyberCity Inc. BVI)
+44 117 955 8225            CyberCity Technology in Europe
BCDP Technology ++Beyond the Corporate Doorway Processing Solutions++