httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Module Contrib
Date Tue, 04 Aug 1998 16:30:10 GMT
David Southwell wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >
> > 5. ALL contributions MUST include full source.
>
> I do not agree - sounds too authoritarian  to me!! Some people provide
> support for apache on a commercial basis and  people who have
> developed commercial modules are not likely to be able to publish
> source (they usually have legal restrictions around their neck).

Then I'm not inclined to buy into this.  Apache is an open-source
project.  I don't mind people selling after-market binary-only
VAR versions, but I *do* object to storing them on and distributing
them from the main Apache site.

> I suggest your 5 be changed to:
>
> 5. Contributions for which source code is not available will appear
>    under a separate heading with a notice to that efffect.

No.  Pointers to such can go on the 'related projects' page for
all I care, but it is inappropriate, IMO, to use the Apache site
to push commercial products.  If someone wants to sell something,
let him sell it from his own Web site, not ours.

The FreeBSD ports, CPAN, and related 'contrib' projects -- I'm
not aware of any of them permitting binary-only commercial stuff.
Marc, Doug, correct me if I'm wrong.

#ken	P-)}