httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Module Contrib
Date Mon, 03 Aug 1998 18:02:34 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> > A 3P area is certainly possible - but I agree with ben that it
> > shouldn't be on the www.apache.org site.  Possibly from a
> > contrib.apache.org, or something on modules.apache.org, but
> > www.apache.org should be solely for the HTTP server itself.
> > Pointers to other locations there should be fine.
>
> Ok, but why do we then have ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/dist/contrib/?
> The "contrib" means "contributed stuff" and holds third-party stuff
> since years now... Hmmm... although I find contrib.apache.org cool I
> think we are a little bit too strong here with opinions.

Sure, the contrib directory is there -- but it's a pustulent mess
and has been.  Someone (Martin?) sort-of half-offered to coordinate
it, but I think other things sucked up the cycles.  And though it's
there, I'd rather it weren't -- it reflects poorly on us as long
as it's so disorganised and incomplete.

As for strong opinions -- welcome to new-httpd! :-)

#ken	P-)}